- Cherries are packed with antioxidants called anthocyanins, which may help reduce inflammation (goodbye gout symptoms and muscle pain after your morning run!) and lower triglycerides and cholesterol.
- Trouble sleeping? Munch on some cherries, one of the few foods that naturally contain melatonin, which helps regulate the body's internal clock.
- Cherries are an excellent source of vitamin A, which is used to treat everything from acne and ulcers to PMS and low sperm count. This powerful red fruit contains 19 times more vitamin A than blueberries and strawberries.
- Rich in vitamins C—which boosts the immune system—and E, shown to be effective in preventing bladder cancer death, cherries also are full of potassium (helps treat high blood pressure), magnesium (quells heartburn), iron and folate.
- Cherries are considered a brain food, helping to prevent memory loss.
- Diabetics can eat them with abandon since they have a very low glycemic index. Studies show folks who eat foods with a low glycemic index have better blood sugar control.
All these benefits and one cup of raw cherries has only 87 calories. We're heading to the farmer's market now. Who's coming with?